There’s so much for South Africans to love about Canada. It’s a beautiful, welcoming country with friendly people, beautiful landscapes, clean air and safe city spaces. One thing that South Africans living in Canada do miss about home is the grocery and cleaning product staples that form part of our everyday lives. Whether it’s Mr Min or Handy Andy, Sunlight, Oros, Ouma Rusks or Provitas, there are just some things from home that can’t be replicated or replaced. That’s why the South African Store was established in central Toronto in January 2007 to meet the increase in demand for South African food and grocery products in the Greater Toronto Area.
The South African Store in Canada
With almost 50,000 South Africans living in Canada, there’s definitely a market for South African goods. Thanks to the support of the expat community, this store grew quickly and became well known. Today, the South African Store meets the grocery needs of South Africans not only in the Toronto area, but all across Canada as well.
What can you expect to buy at the South African Store in Canada?
- The meat staples: biltong and boerewors.
- Beverages: South African drinks, like Five Roses, Oros, Frisco and Appletiser will definitely quench any homesick thirst.
- Grocery staples: from canned goods to cereals, chutneys, jams, rusks, soups and spreads. Here you’ll find beloved things like Bovril, ProNutro, UltraMel custard, Mrs Balls, Ouma and Koo.
- Health and beauty: including favourite toiletries like Lux soap, Ingram’s Camphor cream and more.
- Snacks: all your favourite biscuits, crackers, chips and dried fruit from back home. Think Tennis biscuits, NikNaks, Flings, Zoo Biscuits and more!
- Sauces and spices: from curry powder to Aromat, Robertsons spices, All Gold tomato sauce – you’ll find all the seasonings you need, here.
- Sweets and chocolates: If your sweet tooth misses home as much as you do, you’ll love the selection of Beacon and Cadbury’s chocolates, as well as all the best treats, like wine gums, Astros and Fizzers.
What you need to know about The South African Store in Canada:
Opening hours: Mon – Sun: 09:30 – 20:00
- Need directions to get to their store? They’ve got subway and bus directions, here.
- You can read reviews about The South African Store in Canada, before you visit or buy.
Interested in Canada as an immigration destination?
- Reasons to move to Canada.
- Here’s what you need to know to move there.
- Here’s how to move Canada with your pets.
- The cost of living in Canada vs South Africa.
FinGlobal: Your financial emigration specialists
Moving abroad can be challenging, and it’s easy to miss things you left behind. Finding gems like The South African Store in Toronto can make your new life in Canada a little more bearable – there’s nothing like the taste of home when you need it most.
It’s not just food and groceries that Saffas need when they’re living overseas – it’s financial services too, especially if you’re a South African resident working abroad. With the right cross-border financial services partner by your side, you can handle anything, including financial emigration, retirement annuity withdrawal, or tax emigration.
Choosing the right partner to handle your cross-border financial portfolio is a huge step. It’s not like going grocery shopping, and it requires a lot of forethought and planning – but you can leave that all to us. We’ve already helped more than 60 000 clients in 105 countries across the globe and we can’t wait to do the same for you.
We could give you a long list of reasons why you should choose to work with FinGlobal, if you’re a South African living in Canada, but we’d prefer to let our success stories talk for themselves. Take a look at our client testimonials to see how we can make your life easier.
If you’d like to find out more about FinGlobal’s convenient, seamless financial services for South African expats, contact us today for your FREE and No obligation consultation and quote!