What you will need to make your own gin:
- 1 bottle of vodka
- 40g of juniper berries
- A selection of botanicals (these are up to your personal taste – some great ones are stick cinnamon, cardamom pods, coriander seeds, star anise, cloves, pimento, rosemary and citrus zest.
**NB: Don’t use the powdered versions of any of these, as it’ll be impossible to sieve it out after infusing)
- A glass jar or bottle with lid
- A sieve or strainer
Recipe: How to make your own gin
- Sterilise 1 litre jar with boiling water and add 70cl vodka
- Add your botanicals – 40g juniper berries, 10g coriander seeds, 1/2 cinnamon stick , 1/2 liquorice root, 2 cardamom pods
- Infuse for 24 hours in a cool dark place. Have a taste — the juniper flavour should be developing
- Add 1 piece each of orange and lemon peel with the bitter pith removed
- Infuse for 24 hours. Shake once. Don’t over infuse.
- Taste again. If you like it, sieve out the botanicals and strain through a coffee filter.
- Develop in the jar for 2 days. Filter again and you should have a lovely amber gin.
- To finish, simply add your tonic and garnish. It’s gin o’clock!