September is heritage month and we all celebrate this occasion in different ways. We do however share one common heritage and call it many things: Braai, Ukosa and Chisa Nyama to name a few. The ingredients may differ but when we have something to celebrate we light fires, and prepare great feasts.
No matter where you live, celebrate your Heritage Day (aka South African National Braai Day) with this mouth-watering masterpiece!
*This recipe makes 4 portions
Rib Eye Steak with salsa and guacamole recipe
- 4 x Rib Eye Steak
- 200 ml Water
- Barbecue Marinade 100 g Avocado:
- 2 x firm diced Avocado,
- 10 g Jalapeno chillies, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 x medium Onion, chopped
- 20 g Fresh Coriander
- 3 x Cherry Tomatoes 3 pc
- 5 ml Cayenne Pepper 5 ml
- 1 Lemon
- 30 g Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 250 g Plain Doritos
- 30 g Sweetcorn, grilled and off the cob
- +/- 8 minutes
- Mix BBQ Marinade with water and stir well. Add the steak and cover with marinade and allow to marinade for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Dress the avocado with the juice of 1 lemon, olive oil and salt to taste.
- Combine tomatoes, onion, coriander and Cayenne Pepper.
- Grill the steaks over direct high heat for 4-5 minutes each side, remove from grill and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes.
- Top the steaks with guacamole then the salsa, then add Doritos and grated cheese.
- Melt the cheese under the salamander and sprinkle with sweet corn, jalapeno’s and fresh coriander then serve.
- Chefs Tip:
- Halve and separate avocados, remove pip with a spoon and keep the skin intact. Using a small knife, dice the avocado whilst still in the skin. Scoop out and dice the flesh and place in a bowl.
- Be careful not to burn the tortillas when you melt the cheese under the salamander.
Original recipe source from: unileverfoodsolutions.