Are you looking for something new and delicious to try in your kitchen? Malva pudding cupcakes are sure to tantalize the taste buds!
While the classic malva pudding is delicious, we thought that it would also make a great cupcake. A cupcake version of this traditional dessert that stays true to its roots but provides an easy-to-eat alternative. These South African treats have a unique flavour profile that includes sweet, spongy cake with hints of apricot jam and spices like cinnamon.
Let’s make delicious malva pudding cupcakes – South African style!
Exploring the origins: Unravelling the history of Malva pudding in South Africa
Malva pudding is an old-fashioned Afrikaans dessert that has been around for centuries. It’s thought to have originated in the Cape of Good Hope, where Dutch settlers brought it with them from Europe in the 17th century. The original recipe used apples and prunes, which were then replaced by apricot jam as they weren’t as widely available.
The name malva is derived from the Dutch word mallow, which refers to a type of plant found in the Cape Province. It’s believed that the original pudding was made with a sauce made from this flower, although this has since been replaced by apricot jam.
Malva pudding quickly became popular among South African families and is now served at special occasions, family dinners, holiday gatherings or Sunday lunches in South African households.
Mini Malva pudding cupcakes recipe
It’s time to don your apron and whip up a batch of traditional South African malva pudding cupcakes for the perfect Sunday treat!
What you need for the malva cupcake batter:
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 100 ml light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Apricot Jam.
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 125 ml of milk
- 250 ml of all-purpose flour.
- 1 ml of salt
- 4 teaspoons of vinegar.
What you need for the malva pudding sauce:
- ¾ cup cream
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Apricot Jam.
What you need for the malva pudding icing:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups of sifted icing sugar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons (15 – 30ml) milk
What to do
To make the batter:
- Cream together softened butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in Apricot Jam until light and creamy followed by one egg.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in milk, then sift together cake flour and salt into the mixture.
- Alternate incorporating the milk mixture with the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- Stir in a splash of vinegar to complete the batter and spoon it into paper-lined cupcake pans.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C for 15-20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Once removed from the oven, pour over your choice of sauce while still hot and let them cool.
Steps for making the sauce:
- Start by combining cream, butter, brown sugar, and apricot jam in a small saucepan.
- Place the pan over heat and bring it to a boil while stirring until all ingredients dissolve completely.
- Once boiling, turn down heat to low and let simmer for two minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside the mixture to cool down.
To make the icing:
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in milk to reach desired consistency for your frosting.
- When fully blended, spread on top of Malva Cupcakes for a delightful, sugary treat!
- To finish off, sprinkle with sparkling sugar or top with fresh berries for a colorful presentation.
Serve your delicious Malva cupcakes and enjoy!
Malva cupcakes are a nostalgic, delicious and easy-to-make treat that is sure to please everyone. Not only do they taste amazing but they’re also a fun way to bring the flavors of South African culture into your home. With a few simple ingredients and steps, you can enjoy the classic malva pudding in a cupcake form. So why not give it a try this weekend? You won’t be disappointed! Bon appétit!
Experience more than just the best malva pudding cupcakes recipe at FinGlobal
Don’t be fooled into believing that our specialty lies solely in crafting and presenting malva pudding recipes; although we excel in that too! Let us acquaint you with the broad spectrum of services FinGlobal provides. We’re a team specialising in financial emigration, boasting an outstanding reputation in the industry. Our years of experience in assisting South Africans navigate their monetary and tax emigration demonstrate our proficiency and efficiency. We’re here not only to explain the ins and outs of financial emigration but also to guide you through actionable steps, ensuring your emigration journey is swift, straightforward, and devoid of unnecessary complicated hurdles.
For emigration and financial advice and guidance, take the time to contact us at FinGlobal.