Thai marinade or dipping sauce
Ready to marinade some steaks or looking for something to dip your boerewors into? Whip up this Thai sauce and you can creatively use it to add a Thai flavour to virtually everything you are cooking on your braai – you can even rub it on your corn:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (or substitute 2.5 Tbsp. soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. shallots or purple onion, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Thai chicken recipe
- 8 chicken pieces
- salt and pepper
- Red, green and yellow peppers
- 4 x 5 cm sticks lemongrass
- 4 cloves garlic – grated
- A small piece of ginger – grated
- 1-2 green chillies – chopped
- 1 x 410 g coconut cream
- 20 ml fish sauce
- 15 – 25 ml green or red curry paste
- fresh coriander to serve
- 2 limes for serving
- Get your braai going so that it’s at medium heat. Cut up pieces of foil so you can comfortably wrap up each piece of chicken. Season your chicken with salt and pepper and add a stick of lemongrass to each parcel.
- Mix your coconut cream, ginger, garlic, chillies and fish sauce together. Bring the corners of each foil parcel together and just before you close it, pour a dollop of the mixture into each parcel. Close the foil packages and place them on the medium coals for 45 – 50 minutes depending on how big your chicken pieces are.
- While cooking check if your chicken needs more liquid and if so, add some chicken stock or top up with more of the Thai mixture.