- 10 lemons
- 150 g brown sugar
- 100 g white sugar
- Ice, for serving
- 500 ml soda water
- Halve the lemons and dip the cut side into the brown sugar. Place the lemons, cut side down, on a braai grid over medium heat coals.
- Turn when the lemons are charred and almost blackened. Braai for a further 5 minutes, then place in a large bowl.
- Once the lemons are cool enough to handle, squeeze the juice into a jug. Add the white sugar to the lemon juice and mix until dissolved.
- Add lots of ice and top up with soda water. For a twist, you can add a splash of bourbon.
Braaied dessert in a mug
Bored of the original marshmallows and chocolate on a stick over the braai?
- An enamel coffee mug/ metal cup/ clean tin can (to put on top of the braai)
- A packet of Marie biscuits/Digestive biscuits
- A packet of marshmallows
- Caramel treat (you could use bar one/mars bar instead of buying a tin of caramel treat)
- A chocolate of your choice
- Crumble one or two Marie Biscuits or Digestive Cookies into a metal cup or enamel coffee mug.
- Add one or two Marshmallows (one white & one pink), add a few spoons of caramel treat, sprinkle on a few chunks of chocolate bar and top with Custard.
- When the coals of your fire are on their last legs, put the cups on a very low heat under a suitable lid like a Weber lid or a box that has been lined with tin foil.
- Leave the cups under the lid for about 5 minutes or until the marshmallows have turned mushy and the chunks of Chocolate have melted.
- Remove the cups from the fire with a glove, dishcloth or paper napkin and enjoy by scoffing it down with a HUGE spoon!