“Rooibos tea is an easy and effective way to boost any cocktail. A lot of subtleties of rooibos tea play well off of vodka and specifically gin, since the latter has a lot of the same characteristics as the tea.”
Try any one of these 8 rooibos-inspired cocktails that’s sure to rock your party:
1. Ride the high country cocktail
- 45ml The Black Grouse (or other) Whiskey
- 30ml Rooibos Tea Concentrate
- 150ml Cream Sherry
- Orange Bitters
* Combine all ingredients (except bitters) and shake over ice
* Double strain and garnish with a dash of Orange Bitters
2. Rooibos tea cocktail
- 6 blackberries
- 45ml Shochu (a trendy Japanese clear distilled spirit similar to vodka)
- 30ml Sweet white vermouth
- 45ml Chilled brewed red Rooibos tea
- 1 lemon twist
* In a cocktail shaker, muddle 5 berries with the Shochu, vermouth and tea
* Add ice and stir
* Pour through a fine strainer into a chilled coupe
* Garnish with the remaining berry and the twist
3. Rooibos tea punch
- 500ml strong Rooibos tea, cooled
- 500ml peach juice
- At least 100ml vodka
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- 2 peaches, thinly sliced
* Combine all the ingredients in a large jug and stir well
* Serve over ice
4. Iced rooibos tea cocktail
- 60ml Rooibos Espresso Tea
- 30ml cherry vodka
- 15 ml milk
- ½ cup of ice
- Garnish: Cherries
* In a serving glass add Rooibos Espresso, cherry vodka, and ice
* Stir mixture then add milk
* Garnish with Cherries
5. Fire and spice tea cocktail
- 3 cups of Rooibos Chai tea
- 1 cup of cranberry juice
- 120ml vodka
- 30ml Limoncello
- Cranberries and/or thinly sliced lemons for garnish
* Pour 3 cups boiling water over 2 tbsp. Rooibos Chai tea
* Steep for 10 minutes, and then strain
* Refrigerate until cold. (To chill instantly, brew tea in 1 1/2 cups water & strain over 1 1/2 cups ice)
* Combine chilled tea with 1 cup chilled cranberry juice, 120ml vodka, and 30ml Limoncello
* Shake over ice. Serve well chilled in martini glasses, champagne flutes, or short tumblers. Garnish with cranberries and/or thinly sliced lemons
* Makes 4 cups (1 litre)
6. Strawberry punch
- 750ml strong, cold Rooibos
- 1 litre apple juice
- 1 litre granadilla/ passion fruit juice
- 1 litre strawberry juice
- 2 bottles (750m leach) of sparkling red grape juice
- 1 punnet of strawberries, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- Fresh mint leaves
* Mix rooibos, apple, granadilla and strawberry juices and chill.
* Add chilled sparkling grape juice.
* Garnish with strawberries, orange and mint.
7. Rooibos tea and gin
Ingredients and method
- Make a 1/4 cup of rooibos tea.
- Add the Rooibos to 3 litres of your favourite gin.
- Allow to steep for 3 hours at room temperature.
- Enjoy and mix with your favourite cocktail.
8. Rooibos liquor
- 750ml brandy
- 2 cloves
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 750ml strong, hot Rooibos
- 600g white sugar (750ml)
- 25ml honey
* Add cloves and cinnamon to the brandy, shake the bottle and allow it to infuse overnight.
* Heat sugar and rooibos tea over moderate heat until sugar has dissolved.
* Boil uncovered for 20 minutes.
* Remove from heat and stir in honey.
* Remove cloves and cinnamon from the brandy.
* Add the brandy to the tea syrup and mix well.
* Pour into sterilised bottles and seal.
Recipes from: Rooibos makes cocktails healthier