Are you looking for a delicious soup recipe that will make your mouth water? Then, look no further than South African biltong soup! This creamy, flavourful dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Plus, it’s an easy-to-make meal that doesn’t require too many ingredients or much time.
The versatile ingredient: Biltong
Biltong has been around for centuries, and the origins of this South African delicacy are steeped in history. It was first created by Dutch settlers when they arrived in South Africa centuries ago. Biltong is a dried meat, usually consisting of beef or game, that has been cured with salt, pepper and other spices. It’s then left to dry in the sun before being smoked for extra flavour.
Biltong can be served as an appetiser on its own or used as a topping for salads, pizzas, and pastas. It can also be added to soups, stews, and curries for extra flavour and texture. The possibilities are endless!
A delicious biltong mushroom soup recipe
This biltong soup and mushroom recipe is creamy, flavourful, quick and easy to make for a quick lunch or dinner!
What do you need:
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup of finely diced red or yellow baby peppers
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 3/4 tablespoon of crushed garlic
- 1 punt of button mushrooms
- 1 cup of fresh cream
- 1 cup of whole milk or full-fat milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1/2 a cup of biltong
- 1 and a half teaspoons of mixed dried herbs
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
What to do:
- Begin by heating some oil in a pan, then proceed to add the diced onion and chopped pepper. Cook the onion and peppers until the onion is soft and the peppers are tender. Then, incorporate the minced garlic.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the mixture (cut them in half first, then slice) and cook until done. Add a pinch of salt (stock will be added later), freshly ground black pepper and a combination of dried herbs are optional.
- Add the cream, milk, water, and stock to the mixture. Allow the mixture to simmer for a duration of around 7 to 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, incorporate the biltong into the mixture.
- This delectable soup is at its finest when paired with garlic and chili roast potatoes or toasted garlic bread.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream for added flavour. Enjoy!
The final words before enjoying biltong and mushroom soup
This creamy biltong and mushroom soup is a flavourful South African delicacy that’s sure to become a family favourite. With this simple recipe, you can create an easy and delicious dish that is sure to impress. So the next time you have biltong in your pantry, give this recipe a try and enjoy the wonderful flavours of South Africa!
Expert advice for SA expats right here at FinGlobal
Bespoke emigration advice, professional accreditation, and decades of experience are what expats can expect from the FinGlobal team. With a reputation for supporting South African expats with every step of their financial emigration journey, FinGlobal is a name many trust.
From pension advice to forex, retirement annuities, and tax, the FinGlobal team has the experience and quality no-fuss information you need. Contact the team today to turn your emigration dream into a reality.
To discuss your unique needs with our team, simply get in touch with us. Give us a call on +27 28 313 5600 or send us an email at email@example.com, and we will assist you promptly.