If we were told to write a piece on the single most delectable thing you could buy at Woolworths, all we would have to say is two words, and those two words would speak volumes.
There! We said it. And we can only imagine thousands of South Africans salivating at the thought! Of course, you’re probably dying to buy a bag of Woolies Chuckles right now.
If you’ve never had Chuckles from Woolworths South Africa, you’d be forgiven for not going weak at the knees at the mere mention of them. But the fact remains that Woolworths Chuckles is such a taste-gasm that they have featured in multiple recipes in the Woolworths Taste Magazine and their YouTube videos too. We can’t get enough of Chuckles – we, being the entire nation, that is.
Now, for those not in the know, Chuckles are only available at Woolies, and they’re malted honeycomb spheres covered in creamy milk chocolate. They are a total and utter indulgence, and we don’t even care what the packaging says about calories and sugar and all that jazz. When there are Chuckles around, all resistance goes out the proverbial window. Now, what if we told you that there’s a way to make Woolworths Chuckles even better? We’ve spent a bit more time than we should (shh, don’t tell the boss) scrounging around various Woolworths South African recipes to haul out our favourite Chuckles recipe. And we can’t wait to share it with you! As usual, we will, and this time, we won’t even waste any precious time telling you the history of Chuckles or why Woolworths is producing them faster than Mac Donald’s is whipping up burgers!
The time has come. Stand to attention, please! Sound the trumpets, roll out the red carpet, and get all flustered, ladies and gents, because you’re about to learn how to make Chuckles Millionaires Shortbread.
The Woolworths chuckles recipe that will change your life
This recipe makes 16 squares of shortbread, takes 30 minutes to prep, 15 minutes to create, and 8 hours to chill. Oh, and it only involves 6 ingredients! And one last thing before we get started, there’s no baking involved either!
What you need:
- 350 g sugar
- 2 cups of cream
- ½ a cup of water
- 400 g of butter
- 2 x 220 g of Woolworths Butter Shortbread (crush these)
- 1 x 250 g of Woolworths Chuckles
What to do:
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, warm the water. It should just be almost boiling before you take the next step.
- Next, add the sugar to the hot water and stir it to make sure that the sugar dissolves and turns a golden brown colour.
- Once the sugar is golden brown, you can remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Grab the cream and carefully add in only half of it. Whisk the cream into the sugar until you are sure all the ingredients are well-combined.
- Next is to add the butter. You shouldn’t just throw all the butter in at once. Instead, add the butter one tablespoon at a time. After adding a tablespoon of butter, whisk the mixture to ensure that the butter is thoroughly melted and properly combined. Do this after every spoon of butter is added.
- Cover the mixture up and pop it into the fridge for 8 hours. If you cannot wait that long, you can reduce the chilling time to 6 hours.
- After the 8 hours have passed, it is time to make the base.
- Melt the remaining butter and then mix it with the shortbread. Now, press the mixture into the bottom of a springform cake tin. A 20cm diameter would work perfectly. Once you’ve pressed it in snugly, place it in the fridge to chill for around one hour.
- Remove the caramel mixture from the fridge, and using an electric mixer, beat it until it is stiff. Add the remaining cream into the mixture while beating.
- Now, for the stars of the show! Add the Chuckles into the base – lay them out in an even layer, and then top them with the whipped caramel mixture.
- Place the mixture back into the fridge and chill for one hour before cutting the shortbread into slices and serving.
You probably didn’t think it would be that easy – neither did we! You might think that it’s so easy it wouldn’t hold up for a party or to impress your snootiest guests, but we are yet to find someone who hasn’t absolutely enjoyed sinking their teeth into this Chuckles shortbread awesomeness.
It’s highly recommended that you enjoy this alone as is, but if you want to make it even more incredible, add ice cream to the equation! You can’t go wrong!
Expert advice for SA expats right here at FinGlobal
What can we say? We’re pretty sure that we’re the best in the business. To put it plainly (and without tooting our own horn too much), FinGlobal provides professional, honest, friendly, and reliable emigration advice that is second to none. If you need assistance or have queries regarding emigration, we strongly urge you to reach out to us. We have been in the business for over a decade, and we have helped thousands of South Africans get through the financial aspects of the emigration process.
Contact the FinGlobal team to discuss your unique emigration requirements today. Our services include forex, tax, retirement annuities, pensions, and more. With us, your future adventures are in safe hands.
To discuss your unique needs with our team, simply get in touch with us. Give us a call at +27 28 312 2764 or send us an email at email@example.com, and we will assist you promptly.