It’s been an entire year since we last celebrated Father’s Day! If you’re super organised, you probably have your gift already picked out. If life has been too busy to stop and find that perfect gift, we have some fantastic South African gift ideas just for you! Let’s make fathers day 2021 an unforgettable one!
Let’s consider what makes a ‘Father’ special. The role of a father has progressed through the ages, much like the neolithic man. In the beginning, the part of a father was to hunt and gather for the family. When this era ended, he progressed to working long hours at the office to provide for the family. Now, the strength of twenty wildebeest cannot compare to the fathers of this day and age. They lend their hand to co-managing babies and toddlers, fending off volatile teenage situations, overseeing homework and whipping up tasty, wholesome meals when Mom is working late!
Today’s dad is a veritable superman, and for this, we say, “thanks, Dad!” Thank you for allowing us to wear fairy wings to school when Mom has an early meeting at work.” “Thank you for the best camping adventures ever and for scaring us silly with spooky ghost stories at illegal midnight feasts!” (Mom can never know!). But mostly, “Thank you for always being there for us even when we are old enough to know better and fend for ourselves.”
With this in mind, how do you find a gift that says all that and more?
Trendy Father’s day gifts this Father’s day 2021
How do you say ‘thank you without using the same boring, overused ideas? A truly unique gift takes into account the person’s personality, hobbies and interests, but most importantly, it’s an opportunity to showcase the love we have for our dad. What are the best father’s day gifts this year? Let’s jump right in and take a look at some of our favourite South African gift ideas.
- Dad’s personal chilli bucket
If your dad likes chillis and also enjoys gardening, he may want to grow his very own chilli bush or two! Of course, you don’t want to hand over a packet of seeds – how bland! Dress it up in a chilli gift bucket! For this one, you will need chilli seeds, a medium tin bucket and a small bag of multipurpose soil, all of which can be found at your local garden centre. You can add optional extras such as a small garden trowel and some gardening gloves. Remember to choose macho designs for the garden implements. Then wrap in a massive piece of cellophane. Decorate with an excellent necktie tied as a bow, and you now have a treat for the garden-loving dad in your life.
- DIY biltong starter kit
This gift idea is for the dad who loves to get busy in the kitchen. Making biltong is an art, and with the right equipment, it’s pretty easy! There are many ways to make biltong, and with so many biltong starter kits online, they are affordable to buy and set up yourself. Why not download some easy step-by-step instructions to build a biltong box with a plastic storage tub, halogen light, and computer fan? Print the instructions on good quality paper or card, pop in a bag of good quality biltong with a biltong recipe book, and we are sure your dad will be well on the road to making his secret biltong cupboard! Besides, it’s also a great way to spend time bonding with Dad.
- South African treats gift basket
This gift has got to be one of the nicest gifts for Dad. You can use either a wicker basket, which you can find at most craft shops or a large plastic storage tub. Line with tissue paper and fill the container with all things South African. It’s as easy as that! The nice part about this gift idea is that you can tailor it to suit your dad’s tastes. We love the Braai basket idea. Fill the basket with a selection of Ina Paarman’s braai spices; how about tasty braai and grill spice, chilli and garlic sprinkle or seasoned sea salt. Pop in a manly apron and a shiny new set of braai tongs. Or, go all out with a personalised set of braai tools which are available to order online. Optional extras could be a bag of biltong and a bottle or two of his favourite beer.
- Store-bought gifts for Dad
- Leather – nothing says Dad more than a tooled leather wallet or belt. Make the gift extra special by selecting the option to personalise it. They are lasting gifts that he’s sure to enjoy and remember each day that he uses them.
- Veldskoen – these traditional South African walking shoes made from vegetable-tanned leather or soft rawhide are the perfect gift for Father’s day 2021. Comfortable and trendy, they can be dressed up or down for any Dad occasion there is.
- Pamper gifts – all Dads love a little pampering. Find out what his signature aftershave scent is, and then purchase the matching shaving foam, body wash and moisturising shaving balm.
- Biltong box – a biltong selection box is a great way to spoil your dad. Add his favourite tipple, wine or beer, and you have the perfect Saturday evening treat.
- Experience days – how about an experience day just for him? There are quite a few South African beer and brewery tours in South Africa. We love the wine, beer and biltong safari in Stellenbosch. Take a look at the Viator website for all kinds of experience days and choose the one that suits your special dad.
It takes a lot to be a Father, but it takes someone special to be Dad, let’s spoil them this Fathers day 2021.
FinGlobal: A decade of taking care of expat tax and financial emigration
If you’re on your way to another country and need to ensure that your tax and financial emigration is in order, you’ve come to the right place. At FinGlobal, we have a decade of experience helping SA expats across the globe wrap up their financial and tax emigration obligations when moving abroad. Whether you are in the process of gathering advice or need hands-on assistance, our team is ready to help.
All you have to do is get in touch with us to discuss your needs and requirements. You can give us a call on +27 28 312 2764 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org today.