Let’s take a moment to think of two much-loved South African treats, that when combined create a delectable dessert that’s great whether it’s served hot or cold. All South Africans know all about apple crumble and Ouma rusks…now let’s put them together with another South African favourite, rooibos tea, to form a dessert that’s hard to say no to. Everyone that tastes it will be saying “yes” to a second helping – guaranteed! Let’s talk about whipping up a rooibos and rusk stewed apple crumble combo. It’s the perfect apple crumble recipe with a quirky South African twist. Prepare to absolutely delight your taste buds!
When it comes to apple crumble recipes, this one comes out tops! One of the great things about this rooibos dessert recipe is that the uniquely South African ingredients, such as rooibos tea and Ouma Rusks’ condensed milk, are typically readily available wherever you are in the world (thanks to South African shops popping up here, there, and everywhere). You can hop online and get the ingredients that aren’t readily available in your local grocery store. Of course, if you aren’t an expat living abroad and still live in South Africa, everything you need is quick and easy to get (and most affordable too) right here.
Rooibos dessert recipes
South African Apple Crumble Recipe with Ouma Condensed Milk Rusks
Absolutely everyone that tries this unique apple crumble dessert falls in love with it – and so will you, that’s guaranteed. There are 3 sections that you need to focus on in this stewed apple crumble recipe. These sections are; the rooibos syrup, the apple filling, and the crumble. Each section needs to be made up separately and then combined to create a most delectable dessert. This recipe serves 8, or 4 if you want extra large servings (which you probably will once you have your first taste).
What You Need to Make the Rooibos Syrup
- 2 rooibos teabags
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
What You Need to Make the Apple Filling
- 6 green apples (large ones preferably) – peel, core, and cut them into chunks
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Prepared rooibos syrup
What You Need to Make the Crumble
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of castor sugar
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 250g of Ouma condensed milk rusks
Gather the goodies you need and get to work on the recipe below. It’s a lot quicker and easier than you think, so grab a glass of wine (or cup of tea) and set to work. Enjoy!
What to Do to Make the Rooibos Syrup
- Simmer the water, sugar, and 2 rooibos teabags in a small pot until all of the sugar is properly dissolved. This should be done on low to medium heat at a simmer, not a boil.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, increase the temperature to medium heat and boil for 10 to 15 minutes until it forms a syrupy texture.
- Strain the syrup into a jug and allow it to cool before using.
What to Do to Make the Apple Filling
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and ensure that it reaches the correct temperature before starting the baking process.
- Grease a medium sized baking pan or dish.
- Add the apple pieces, lemon juice, cinnamon and rooibos syrup to the baking pan and combine well.Make sure that the apple pieces cover the entire bottom of the baking pan.
What to Do to Make the Crumble
- Gently combine the sugar, cinnamon, flour and melted butter in a large bowl. Don’t over-do it.
- Break up the rusks into small chunks and mix them into the crumble mixture.
- Spoon the crumble mixture over the layer of apples in the baking pan, making sure that there are no spots left open.
- Pop the baking pan into the oven and bake for around 40 minutes until it is golden crispy and the apples are soft.
- Last but not least, serve the dish and thoroughly enjoy gobbling it down.
This delectable dessert is best served in a bowl while still piping hot with a extra large dollop of almond milk ice-cream or a splash of icy-cold coconut milk or cream. While most prefer to much it down while hot, many people still enjoy the dessert when it’s cold.
What to Do for Seamless Tax & Financial Emigration From South Africa
When it comes to seamless tax and financial emigration from South Africa, following the right recipe is absolutely essential. At FinGlobal, we believe that we have the right recipe to emigration success, especially when it comes to the processes involved in financial and tax emigration from the country. We are also well-versed in how to obtain access to your pension fund and retirement annuity when leaving the country. In addition to this, we are experienced in providing premium and advice and guidance to South African expats across the globe. Whether you are thinking about leaving the country or already living and working abroad and simply need some expat financial assistance, we believe that we just the team to assist you. All you have to do to get advice or action the processes involved is contact us.