Just because we’re in lockdown, doesn’t mean that we have to be lonely. Thanks to tech, social distancing is a lot more bearable because it’s easy to spend face to face time with friends and loved ones, thanks to video chat technology. Which video chat apps should you be using? We’re about to give you the rundown on some of the most popular options, to help you choose between FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp video calling, Viber and Google Hangouts.
Best Video Chatting Apps:
Hands down the most popular video chatting app for Apple fans, FaceTime is useful for video and audio calls on an individual level, with the option of extending the chat to a group with up to 32 users. The best part about FaceTime is that it’s already built into every iPhone or iPad and there’s Mac FaceTime, which can even do voice calls.
- High-quality video calls, easy to use interface, free to use over Wi-Fi
- Loads of fun features like Live Photos, stickers, text and filters
WhatsApp video calling
While the old folks like to call it “Whatsupp”, it’s still a pretty cool video chat app. Why? Because most people already have the app installed on their phones, and there’s a lot of choice when it comes to compatible devices. There’s a web app and a desktop WhatsApp, so as long as you have a camera and a microphone on your device and a decent Wi-Fi signal you’re good to go for video calls. You can video call individual contacts or turn any WhatsApp group into a video call.
- WhatsApp is currently rolling out updates that will see the head count limit increase to 8 participants for a video chat group.
- Free to use on Wi-Fi, end-to-end encryption for security.
Here’s everything you need to know about WhatsApp video calling.
If you’ve got a really big family, you’re going to need to super-size your group video chat capabilities. This is where Skype performs beautifully. With a participant limit of 50 people, you can get everyone on the line – all the cousins, aunties, uncles, grannies and oupas – the more the merrier with Skype video chat.
- Free to use on just about any tablet, mobile or computer.
- HD video and audio calling; screen sharing, fun emoji and reactions.
Here’s how to do a group video call on Skype.
High quality, crystal clear call and video chat app, Viber is free to use with a Wi-Fi connection. Make free international calls, use video calling, open a group chat, and so much more! The experience between desktop, mobile and tablet apps is seamless and it’s easy to make voice and video calls to friends and family, with up to 20 participants in the video chat.
- Compatible with Apple, Android and Linux devices, secure end-to-end encryption, self-destruct timer option for messages.
- Easy to use – call from within a group chat or start a new group call by selecting contacts.
Here’s what you need to know about video calling on Viber.
It’s the OG video chat app, and you can use it for group video chats of up to 10 people. Keep in touch with friends across Android, iOS, or the web and sync your chats from device to device to keep the conversation going wherever you are in the house.
- Easy to use, add people by name, phone number or email address.
- HD video chat with up to 10 participants.
Here’s everything you need to know about video chatting on Google Hangouts.
FinGlobal: we’re all about online convenience
We’ve been running our business online long before the COVID-19 outbreak, so we’re experienced and efficient in delivering all of our services remotely.
Since 2011, we’ve helped thousands of clients around the world on various aspects of their cross-border financial portfolios, providing fast, efficient and reliable service on every transaction.
- We handle everything for you, every step of the way; presenting you with signature-ready paperwork and submitting everything on your behalf.
- You can track our progress through our user-friendly online portal, as we hustle the paperwork along every step of the bureaucratic trail.
As the financial emigration specialist of choice for South African expats, we can assure you:
- Favourable payouts in a shorter period than other providers
- Better exchange rates than commercial banks
- Tailored solutions based on your unique circumstances
- No upfront payment, completely transparent costs and fees
We’ve got all the cross-border financial expertise you need under one roof and we’re ready to show you how convenient we can make your financial emigration, retirement annuity withdrawal, tax clearance, tax refunds or foreign exchange experience. Contact us to get started.