Are you living in New Zealand and craving the flavours of South Africa? Are you wondering, “Where can I buy biltong” without having to fly back to SA? Well fear not, even if you are living in the most remote point of this beautiful country you can order everything you need from a South African shop called BiltongPlus.
The biggest range of everything South Africa
This famous online store has the largest range of South African products, all available at the click of a button. Some of the products have been imported, while others have been handpicked in South Africa. And when it comes to biltong you can be assured you are getting the very best with fresh New Zealand beef, cured in your favourite South African spices and vinegar. Biltongplus has spent over 10 years perfecting their recipes and has a “killer range”
Shop in person
Biltongplus is not just an online shop, you can also browse the physical store in person at 273 Rodney St Wellsford, Auckland. For busy people, the shop is open 7 days a week from 8am to 6pm and is only closed on Christmas day and Good Friday! There is plenty of parking on site and you can then leisurely shop for your Mrs Balls chutney, All Gold tomato sauce, Appletiser, biltong, rusks and more.
How do you make buttermilk biscuits:
If you love your rusks as much as we do, you might need to make your own batch every week. Here is a great, traditional rusk recipe that is perfect for dunking in your Five Roses tea:
- 1 kg cake flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 level tbls baking powder (not baking soda)
- 500 ml buttermilk OR
- 500 ml full fat milk mixed with 3 tbls vinegar or lemon juice (buttermilk)
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1½ cups sugar (white or light brown)
- 1 tbls caramel essence or vanilla essence
- 250gr cold butter, cut into small blocks
- Turn oven onto very low heat about 150°F (65 C).
- Spray 2 loaf tins with non-stick baking spray or grease with butter. You need 2 cookie sheets for drying out rusks at end, ungreased.
- If you are not using buttermilk, add the vinegar or lemon juice to the full cream milk, stir and let it stand for about 5 minutes.
- Sift flour, salt & baking powder together.
- Rub butter into flour until it looks like breadcrumbs. (You can use a food processor on pulse mode for this step).
- Transfer breadcrumb mixture to a large bowl.
- Beat egg, add buttermilk and essence to egg mixture, add sugar and stir.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix in with a knife.
- Knead well by hand until dough reaches the elastic stage. If the dough is too sticky on your hands, just sprinkle a little flour in until dough is no longer sticky.
- Roll mixture into sausage shapes (about the length of your thumb and a bit thicker) and loosely pack into tins, OR halve dough and shape into 2 loaves in tins then cut to size when cooked, whichever you prefer. (I do the loaves)
- Put tins with mixture in oven for ± 45 minutes at 150°F (65 C) to rise.
- Remove from oven.
- Set oven to 350°F (180 C) when oven reaches this temperature, bake for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Set oven to lowest heat again, about 150°F (65 C).
- Turn out loaves to cool.
- When cool gently break balls apart, or slice loaves into slices about ¾ inch thick then slice these slices into ¾ inch fingers – if possible use an electric knife.
- Place in a single layer on cookie sheets with a little space between each rusk, place in oven at 150 F (65 C) to dry for about 8 hours, turn rusks one turn about every 2 hours.
- Allow to cool, put into airtight tins or air-tight plastic bags.
- Test dryness, if rusks are not dry enough after 8 hours, turn heat up about 200°F (100 C) and leave for another hour.
- Doubling the mixture make 4 loaves.
- You will need a very large mixing bowl if you double up plus 4 loaf tins, or 2 large mixing bowls and then just do 2 recipes simultaneously.
If you are a South African living in New Zealand and would like to know more about financial emigration from South Africa or cashing in your South African retirement annuity, contact FinGlobal. FinGlobal’s professional guidance and advice will assist you to successfully financially emigrate in a simplified and supportive process. We have successfully helped thousands of clients in over 105 countries. Contact us today.