Afternoon tea destinations in Cape Town
Afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson
The Vineyard Hotel Newlands
High Tea (Wynberg/Plumstead)
12 Apostles: The Leopard Bar
Enjoy your own: afternoon tea recipe
If you are planning on enjoying a high tea at home, here is a classic Victorian Sponge recipe that is sure to delight your guests:
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 4 eggs beaten
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of milk (30ml)
For the filling:
- 170g of good quality strawberry jam
- 140g of sifted icing sugar
- 5ml of vanilla extract (optional)
- 100g of butter
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Heat the oven to 190C fan
- Line 2 x 20cm baking tins with non-stick baking paper
- Beat 200g caster sugar, 200g softened butter, 4 beaten eggs, 200g self-raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 2 tbsp milk together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
- Divide the mixture between the tins
- Bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Cool both sponges on a cooling rack
- For the filling, beat the 100g softened butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in 140g sifted icing sugar and a drop of vanilla extract (if you’re using it).
- Spread the buttercream over the top of one of the sponges. Top it with 170g strawberry jam and sandwich the second sponge on top.
- Dust with icing sugar