The opening of the Sunshine Plaza
The Sunshine Plaza’s grand opening will be on the 28th of March 2019, when the public got the opportunity to appreciate the $440 million redevelopment for the first time. The centre promises to be a firm fashion favourite, having secured the region’s first David Jones and H&M stores as well as a new Big W. The centre is also expected to be an exceptional destination where the customer experience extends way beyond just shopping, with the indoors and outdoors flowing seamlessly together.
Jana Kruger: “ The next Miranda Kerr”
Jana Kruger who moved over to Australia from South Africa as a young child is tipped to be the next Miranda Kerr. In 2012, at the age of 17, she was named as the face of International Fashion Week on the Sunshine Coast. Jana fell into modelling simply by chance after a family member recommended she consider modelling as a career. Jana has a European look that has proved to be very popular in Australia – and complemented the sophisticated launch of the Sunshine Plaza.
Jana follows a long line of other South Africans models who have captured the world’s imagination including:
- Candice Swanepoel, who is one of the very few South African models to work for Victoria’s Secret.
- Katryn Kruger who has appeared in runway shows for Marc Jacobs, Dolce & Gabbana, Valentino and other famous fashion brands.
- Behati Prinsloo who is also a Victoria’s Secret model and has walked the runways of Chanel, Zac Posen, Prada and Louis Vuitton
South African photographer: Janneke Storm
Janneke Storm is a vibrant fashion and wedding photographer who describes herself as “loving, friendly, adventurous”. She was born in South Africa, but has been based in Australia since 2000, where she says she has never been happier, living her dream by having the “best job in the world”.
- Zanele Muholi who is a visual activist using her images to make the stories of LBGTI humans that live in South Africa and abroad, visible to the world.
- Dahlia Maubane who was born in Mafikeng and explores how people cope with the ‘strangeness’ they encounter in different situations
- Ulrich Knoblauch who grew up on a South African farm and today takes pictures at international fashion weeks around the world