If you’re moving abroad and about to experience a whole new culture and way of living, consider sharing your experiences on a blog for all travellers and visitors to the country to enjoy. Expat bloggers often have huge followings and find it a therapeutic way of sharing their experiences and making sense of the challenges that face them.
Here are some good reasons why starting a blog is a great idea:
Sharing your knowledge
As an expat in a new country, you’re bound to encounter many new experiences – from navigating the public transport system, to opening a bank account and even buying a house. You’ll acquire a wealth of knowledge that will be really valuable for other expats or visitors to the country to read. First-hand experiences are always much more insightful and enjoyable to read than tourist guides.
Sharing your experiences
You’re about to expose yourself to a wealth of new experiences, many will be fantastic, others will be humorous and a few challenging. These stories will provide the fodder for some wonderful blog posts and will help others navigate similar experiences.
Sharing your ideas
Expat blogs are not a new phenomenon, but your ideas are. Share your perspectives and your way of looking at things. There will be a huge host of readers who will enjoy your new ideas and insights.
The important thing to remember with a blog, is that you must post regularly. Blogging is a commitment and if you post inconsistently, your audience will diminish.
5 tips on getting started with your blog
For many people, starting a blog can sound daunting, but the process couldn’t be simpler:
- Sign up with a hosting company that will provide you with your chosen blog name. You’ll find many will set up your blog for you – or have templates you can customise.
- Your domain name is often your blog address, so spend time choosing it – you want something memorable that will stick in your audiences’ minds.
- Get going on social media. Social media can play a big role in sharing your blog far and wide. Promote it to your friends who will share it with their contacts and soon you will have a good following.
- WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms and is very easy to use. You can choose from a wide range of free themes – but remember, simple is best. You want your content to be the highlight, not the design of your blog.
- Work on developing your “About Me” page. Many people will read this before even reading your blog. People read blogs of people they can identify with and blogs that include engaging, useful content.
- Include your name, interests and background. You can also have a “Contact” form, so people can give you feedback and opinions about your blog.
If you’re planning on immigrating and need any advice about your financial migration, contact us today and we’ll help you on the path to financial freedom in your new home.
[contact-form-7 id=”6581″ title=”Blog post (call me)”]