South Africans have made their mark on the world stage with names like Charlize Theron, Arnold Vosloo, Sasha Pieterse and Adhir Kalyan. But only recently have we begun to show our talent behind the camera.
Thanks to the likes of people like South African-Canadian director and screenwriter, Neill Blomkamp, Hollywood has started to take us seriously. Indeed, Blomkamp has demonstrated that he can deliver world class material which is digestible to a global viewership whilst still retaining South African narrative undertones throughout his films.
With movies like District 9, Elysium and Chappie under his belt, we’re waiting with bated breath to see what Blomkamp has up his sleeve in the coming years. And although his academy award nominations did not yield an Oscar, we’re certain there’s a golden trophy in his future.
Neil Blomkamp in a nutshell
- Born 17 September 1979 in Johannesburg
- Current residence: Vancouver, Canada
- Made the list of Time magazine’s 100 most influential men in 2009
- Was a 3D animator for films and series like Smallville, Stargate SG-1 and 3 000 Miles to Graceland
- Famous director, Peter Jackson, noticed Blomkamp after seeing a reel of his commercial and short film work
- Received several Academy Award nominations for his film, District 9
- Has started work on the Alien franchise and is planning several sequels with lead actress, Sigourney Weaver