This probably isn’t the first time you’ve seen malva pudding star as a featured recipe on a South African website! The reality is that malva pudding is deeply rooted in South African culture. It’s an apricot-flavoured cake-based dessert, brought into South Africa in the mid-1600s by the Dutch colonists.
Baking sponge cakes and desserts weren’t part of African culture back then, but it was certainly part of the Dutch, and the fact that apricots were prolific at the time only added to the sumptuous flavour of this decadent dessert.
All locals know South African malva pudding, but it must be noted that it’s most popular in the country’s most vibrant city of Cape Town. You can enjoy this spongy, sweet, moist pudding with a dollop of cream or ice cream, and you’ll love it so much you might even find yourself uttering, “oh, calories be damned!”
With the year’s end nearing a rapid pace, everyone seems keen to get their hands on the latest pudding craze. So whether you’re hunting for a great pudding recipe to decorate the festive table or just want to spoil yourself or someone else, we’ve got just the treat for you. In fact, it’s a double-whammy of a treat involving two of our favourite things: Malva Pudding and Amarula.
The best malva pudding recipe!
Sound the trumpet, roll out the red carpet, and dazzle us with the spotlight as our very own easy malva pudding recipe with Amarula makes one heck of an entrance! Hello, festive season – meet the yummiest of puddings yet!
For the cake, you’ll need – malva pudding ingredients:
- 2 x eggs (you can use 6 tablespoons of aquafaba for a vegan version)
- ½ a cup of sugar (that’s 100 g)
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (5 ml)
- ½ cup of milk (that’s 125 ml, and you can use soya or almond milk for a vegan version)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (that’s 15 ml)
- 1 and ½ cups of self-raising flour (that’s 225 g)
- 1 pinch of salt to taste
For the sauce, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of sugar (that’s 200 g)
- ½ a cup of Amarula liqueur (that’s 125 ml, and you can select the Amarula Vegan for a vegan version)
- ½ a cup of evaporated milk (that’s 125 ml, and you can use canned coconut milk for a vegan version)
- ½ a teaspoon of vanilla essence
You can use ice cream, coconut cream, or custard for serving.
What to do for the cake:
- First, get your oven up to the correct temperature by preheating it to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Using an electric beater, cream the sugar and eggs (or aquafaba) until they become fluffy and pale.
- In a cup or jug, dissolve the bicarb in the milk.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt and fold the egg/aquafaba mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a 1.5L oven-proof dish (spray this prior with non-stick spray).
- Pop into the oven and bake for around half an until or until the dessert is browned and cooked right through.
What to do for the sauce:
- In a saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients and heat until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Pour this hot sauce over the baked cake and let it soak in thoroughly.
- Once the cake has fully absorbed the sauce, you can serve hunks of the pudding with ice cream, custard, or coconut cream.
- Another fantastic serving suggestion is to top the pudding and cream/ice cream with fruit pieces to complement the already delicious creamy and sweet flavours.
Of course, the fun and delightful taste sensations don’t stop there. We have a few extra festive tips for you to try to make your pudding experience even better!
If you’ve got any Amarula left over, serve it in shot glasses or sherry glasses with crushed ice to sip on while enjoying this delicious dessert.
Another great tip is to forego the traditional trifle this season and make a delectable Amarula malva pudding trifle filled with delights such as fruit pieces, Astros, fruit chews, and more! All there is left for you to do is let your imagination go wild!
Amarula malva pudding also pairs well with a creamy cappuccino, hot chocolate, strong coffee, or easy-drinking red wines (think shiraz and merlot).
Get more than just baking advice at FinGlobal
When choosing FinGlobal as your financial emigration team, you can have your proverbial cake and eat it. The FinGlobal brand is one that’s synonymous with professionalism, efficiency, and affordability. Our plethora of emigration and financial services include advice and guidance with FOREX, financial emigration, retirement annuity withdrawal, tax refunds, tax clearance, tax exit, exchange control, pension income, and more.
When contacting us, you will learn that we have over ten years of experience in the field and keep up to date with the latest regulations and laws to ensure we always have the best advice and guidance for our clients. What may seem like a complicated process to many South Africans can be simplified with the help of our team, which is well-experienced and ready to assist. You will find our team friendly, approachable, and knowledgeable. And better yet, we will ensure that your emigration from South Africa runs as smoothly as whipping up a malva pudding recipe!
Contact our professional team today for a friendly discussion regarding your emigration requirements! To contact us, simply give us a call at +27 28 312 2764 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will revert as soon as we possibly can.