What’s for dinner kids? We all know that one of the first answers that come to mind in the average SA family home is I&J Golden Smackeroos! I&J Golden Smackeroos are not the first I&J fish product to become a firm favourite for South African families. In fact, the company has been delighting the average SA home for many years. It’s almost as if I&J found the best secret hake recipe and struck gold! There’s a plethora of fish products to choose from and if you have a hankering for something fishy, I&J certainly has something on readily available on the shelf for you.
I&J or Irvin & Johnson, which is its real name, started from humble beginnings in the country back in 1910. It certainly wasn’t the big entity that is today back then. The company was founded by George Irvin and Charles Johnson who pioneered the fishing enterprise in Cape Town in the 1900s. The company did immediately well and simply grew from strength to strength.
After 30 years of operation in 1940, I&J started exporting its products to the United States. Nowadays I&J fish products are popular not just in South Africa and US, but also in Australia, Europe, the Middle East, the Far East, and the Indian Ocean Islands. Now I&J is a big part of the South African community and provide major employment within the country. You just have to pop down to your local grocery store to find a wide range of frozen I&J products including fish pieces, fish nuggets, fish cakes, fish fingers, hake fillets, Smackeroos and a whole lot more.
Let’s talk Smackeroos… what exactly are they and what can you do with them? When it comes to firm favourites from the I&J fish range, Golden Smackeroos are on the very top of the list for adults and kids alike. Smackeroos are an oh-so versatile snack and ideal for finger eats, lunch box treats, and side servings for main meals. What’s great about Golden Smackeroos is that they are tasty, nutritious, and absolutely delectable too. Forget scouring the internet for the perfect fish nugget recipe or hake recipe to wow your family and friends with. Instead, with a few simple recipes up your sleeve, you can transform a simple box of frozen Golden Smackeroos into a more-ish treat that will have everyone coming back for more.
Sweet Chilli Golden Smackeroos Skewers Recipe
Sweet chilli Golden Smackeroo skewers are a tasty treat for anyone and everyone. They’re quick and easy to make and are jam-packed with delicious protein. This recipe is great for a lunch box treat, afternoon snack, and even for nibbles at a gathering.
What you need:
- 400g box of I&J Golden Smackeroos
- 2 finely diced gherkins
- ¼ finely diced red onions
- 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon of finely diced coriander
- 100ml of sweet chilli sauce (the Wellingtons brand is great for this)
- Mini tomatoes
- Black pepper
What to do:
- Follow the cooking instructions on the Smackeroos box to cook them. They are just right when they are cooked-through on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Thread the cooked Smackeroos onto the skewers with a mini tomato between each one.
- Use the other ingredients to make a dip for the skewers. To do this, combine the gherkins, red onion and sweet chilli sauce in a bowl and mix in well with the black pepper.
- Serve the Smackeroos skewers stacked onto a plate with a bowl of the dipping sauce on the side. Simply let everyone dig in – they will!
Smackeroos, Chips & Salad
For those hot summer days, a lighter Smackeroos dish is the call of the day. Keep it zesty and light with a meal of Smackeroos, chips, and salad.
What you need:
- 400g box of Golden Smackeroos
- 1 lemon (for squeezing)
- 1 bag of frozen chips
- Salad items: lettuce, coriander, tomato, onion, cheese, cucumber, grated carrot, a few finely sliced radishes.
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
What to do:
- Cook the Golden Smackeroos according to the cooking instructions on the box and pile them onto a serving platter.
- Cook the frozen chips the traditional way in a deep pot with oil, or opt for the healthier option of cooking the chips in an air fryer. Pile these onto a serving platter too.
- Drizzle the crispy Smackeroos with lemon juice. To do this, simply squeeze the lemon juice over them. This gives a lovely fresh and zesty flavour.
- In a salad bowl, combine the lettuce, coriander, tomato, onion, cheese, cucumber, grated carrot, and finely sliced radishes.
- Squeeze a little of the lemon juice over the salad and toss it to ensure that all the items get a bit of the juice.
- Pour the mayonnaise into a sauce bowl for dipping the Smackeroos in.
- Let people help themselves!
Serve this zesty summer meal with slices of fruit and with mint or lemon infused sparkling water. Of course, it’s best enjoyed outside in the fresh summery air. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.
Let FinGlobal Serve You Up With Professional Tax & Financial Emigration Services
A pile of crispy Golden Smackeroos is not all you should look forward to being served up with! At FinGlobal, we can also offer you a wealth of emigration related information and guidance. We specialise in assisting South African expats across the globe with their tax emigration, financial emigration, and the process to access finances trapped in SA based retirement annuities. Whether you just need a little advice or would like a professional team to assist you with all the red tape involved with emigrating with your finances, simply contact us at FinGlobal. You can give us a call on +27 28 312 2764 or send us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org today.