Rovos Rail – the height of old-world glamour and style
The Rovos Rail is often referred to as the most luxurious train in the world and its carriages are the epitome of grandeur and sophistication. The vintage coaches have been restored with a wonderful eye for detail and capture the romance of days gone by.
Rovos Rail Routes
The Rovos Rail has specific journeys they travel and you cannot jump on or off the train or only travel a portion of the route. The Rovos Rail ethos has always been about experiencing the journey rather than rushing to the destination and each trip envelopes guests in an enchanting Edwardian-style adventure.
Rovos Rail journeys vary from two to 14 nights and are offered in both directions:
- The Cape Town Journey: This is a popular two-night trip between Pretoria and Cape Town. On arrival at Rovos’ private colonial-style station in Capital Park Pretoria, guests sip cocktails and enjoy canapés before climbing abroad to depart through Highveld grasslands, the semi-desert Karoo, dramatic mountain ranges and the vineyards of the Cape Winelands.
- The Victoria Falls Journey: This is a three-night adventure that travels through Johannesburg and the Witwatersrand goldfields, enters Botswana at Mafikeng and continues to the Zimbabwe border at Plumtree. The train travels through the Hwange National Park, offering plenty of game-viewing opportunities before finishing at the Victoria Falls.
- The Durban Journey: This is a two-night safari between Pretoria and Durban that only operates during summer and includes a game drive and a battlefields tour.
- The Golf Journey: This is an eight-night Golf safari that starts and ends in Pretoria and takes discerning players to some of the most famous golf courses in the country.
- The Namibia Journey: This only takes place once a year in April/May and is a not-to-be-missed 8 night-safari starting in Pretoria, travelling to Kimberley, through the Northern Cape and the Karoo to the Fish River Canyon. On arrival in Windhoek, guests take a short flight to the Sossusvlei pan in the Namib Desert and spend an incredible night in the Etosha National Park and the journey ends in the beach resort of Swakopmund
- The African Collage Journey: This combines both golfing and game drives at three different reserves and the train leisurely meanders between Pretoria and Cape Town
- The Dar es Salaam Journey: This epic 14-night expedition departing from Cape Town, sweeping through South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Tanzania, is considered to be one of the most thrilling train journeys in the world and combines a two-night safari in Madikwe Game Reserve, with visits to the Victoria Falls, the Chishimba Falls, the Great Rift Valley and the Selous Game Reserve.