The history of online shopping
Online shopping, or e-commerce as it is known in the digital world, all started back in 1979 when Michael Aldrich invented electronic shopping. The two major global online shopping sites Amazon and eBay were launched in 1995 and since then online shopping became a shopper’s best friend. According to eMarketer, there may be as many as 2.14 billion digital buyers worldwide by 2021and U.S, online shopping of clothes, footwear and accessories are expected to exceed 123M by 2022!
Online Shopping in South Africa
Online Shopping is growing in popularity in South Africa with people embracing the idea of skipping the traffic and parking chaos that a visit to the shops brings, and instead embracing the convenience of having their goods and clothes delivered straight to their door. It is predicted that by 2021 there will be 24.79 million South Africans shopping online, with most online shoppers being women between the ages of 18 to 39.
Top online fashion shops in South Africa
If you are looking for trusted online shopping retailers in South Africa, that offer you the very latest in fashion and more, these are some of the sites to visit:
- Zando: Zando brings you all the luxury labels you love to wear from Abercrombie & Fitch to Bad Girl. Offering free delivery on all orders over R250 and easy returns and collections, it makes online shopping simple. (www.zando.co.za)
- Superbalist: Superbalist and another online fashion shop – Spree – have recently merged to create one huge fashion e-commerce entity. You can find over 1200 products on the site, which are updated daily, and they offer same-day and next-day delivery in Johannesburg and Cape Town. (superbalist.com)
- Woolworths: Woolworths has their own online store – enabling you to get your fashion favourites from this long-trusted South African brand without having to leave home. (www.zando.co.za)
- MRP Clothing South Africa: MRP promises to add 400 news styles weekly to its online shop – where you can find all the latest ladies, men and kids’ fashion at affordable prices. (www.mrp.com)
- Takealot: Takealot positions itself as SA’s leading online store where you can find anything from clothes to TVs. Delivery over R250 is free and so are returns. (www.takealot.com)